Iranian Foreign Minister Jawad Zarif has said his country will avenge the attack on the Natanz nuclear facility. Iran has blamed Israel for the attack.
Earlier, Iran’s Atomic Energy Agency said a key nuclear facility had been sabotaged. Just a day ago, new uranium enrichment equipment was unveiled here.
The head of the agency, Ali Akbar Salehi, has not yet blamed anyone for the “terrorist” attack, but it has been said that it has cut off power to the Natanz nuclear facility in southern Tehran.
On the other hand, the Israeli media, citing intelligence sources, said that Israel had launched a cyber attack on the installation. So far, Israel has not issued an official statement on the incident. Recently, Israel issued a warning regarding Iran’s nuclear program.
The Iranian news agency Nour News has claimed that the “main culprits” involved in the Natanz nuclear installation incident have been identified and efforts are being made to arrest them.
Nour News, affiliated with Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, quoted sources in the intelligence ministry as saying that “the person who caused the power outage at the nuclear facility has been identified.”
It should be noted that diplomatic efforts are being made to reshape the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran. The former Trump administration announced its withdrawal from the agreement in 2018.
On Saturday, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani unveiled new centrifuges for the Natanz-based center and aired special TV broadcasts. Centrifuges are nuclear nuclear equipment used to enrich uranium. It can be used for purposes such as building nuclear weapons and generating electricity.
Iran’s new move was another violation of a 2015 agreement that set an upper limit for Iran on uranium enrichment and production through commercial power plants.
What did Iran say?
On Sunday, Behrouz Kamalvandi, a spokesman for Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization, said the incident took place in the morning and that the power system had been damaged as a result of the attack.
He did not provide further details, saying no one was killed or injured in the incident and no material was leaked.
Ali Akbar, the head of the agency, then called it “sabotage” and “nuclear terrorism”.
“Iran has called on the international community and the International Atomic Energy Agency to work together to combat nuclear terrorism,” he said in a statement.
“Iran must be given the right to take action against those involved.”
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has said it is aware of the reports, but has not issued a formal statement.
After a sabotage operation last July, it was reported that a fire had broken out at the Natanz center, affecting the Central Centrifuges Assembly workshop.
How can Israel be involved?
Israel’s state broadcaster, citing unnamed intelligence sources, said an Israeli cyber operation had disrupted the power supply there.
The Hertz newspaper also said that Israel may have carried out a cyber attack on Iran’s nuclear facility.
Ron Ben-Yishai, a defense analyst for the Ynet News website, said that Iran was moving towards a nuclear weapons capability and that it would be “correct to assume that the problem was not caused by an accident but by deliberation.” There is an attempt to sabotage the US in order to slow down the negotiations on sanctions and the nuclear race.
On Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said it was a “major mission” against Iran, its proxy forces and Iran’s efforts to acquire weapons.
Without referring to the incident, he said, “The situation is as it is today, not necessarily as it will be tomorrow.”
Why did the nuclear deal end?
The United States scrapped a nuclear deal with Iran during the Trump administration and re-imposed economic sanctions on Iran.
But the Biden administration is working to reschedule the deal. However, Netanyahu has warned that Israel will not be a party to the new agreement.
Under the nuclear deal, Iran could have limited uranium enrichment and production, and the terms enrichment rate was set at 3.67%. At 90% enrichment, uranium can be used for nuclear weapons.
Donald Trump said the deal was based on the assumption that a “murderous government” wanted to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes. Donald Trump ended the deal by imposing tougher economic sanctions on Iran.
Iran says it has no plans to build a nuclear weapon, but has resumed work on its nuclear program following US sanctions. Iran has begun to deviate from the terms of the 2015 agreement, which it promised to abide by. The country’s uranium enrichment rate has reached 20%.